[Bf-committers] Bundle Python 3.0 for Blender 2.5

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Fri Dec 5 19:47:44 CET 2008

Hi,

I think it's very important to stick to the smallest feasible
targets... thanks to work we do on fixing event/tools, we will have RNA
(data API) and Operators (tools API). These apis can be automatically
wrapped to python, or any language even.

However, there it stops for me. We wills still have a lot of calls in
Blender that are very useful for Blender as-a-tool, but not "a correct
API" or automatically wrapped. For that a more manual Python api is
still the best and quickest solution, think here of things like UI
stuff, managing certain data operations, etc.

Further, in my view Blender is not an Application Protocol Interface,
it's an artists' tool. The formentioned improvements (RNA, Operators)
are based on improving useful end-user specs. Let's try to get that
realized first. :)

About the bundling: I'm all in for a binary without external
dependencies, something that installs with installation procedures.
Python scripts are based on enabling useful end-user features, and can
therefore be easily bound to a specific release of Python... provided
that release is stable, and expected to stay there for many years. We
can even stick to python 2.5, for that reason.

Of course I'm talking about releases we do, and the standard scripts.
Next to that (we can even release that too) versions that allow custom
python installs are well possible.

-Ton-

Blender Institute BV  Entrepotdok 57A  1018AD Amsterdam The Netherlands