[Bf-committers] Bundle Python 3.0 for Blender 2.5

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 14:41:20 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Roland Hess <rolandh at reed-witting.com> wrote:
> Would the current python stick around as well for backward
> compatibility? I'd read that Py 3.0 wasn't backward compatible in a
> number of ways:
>
> http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html
>
> There is a converter available for that takes care of things like the
> "print" statement, but I think changes like the ones noted in that doc
> would break almost every existing script. While that's not a problem for
> me personally, that would be a serious frustration for people who search
> for a script, find it and have it not work. Not saying Blender 2.5
> shouldn't go with Python 3.0, just that I'm surprised this wasn't noted
> on the "Cons" part of the proposal. This is a significant change, much
> more than Py2.3->Py2.4->Py2.5.
>
> --
> Roland Hess
> harkyman

Its highly likely many/most? scripts will need to be modified to run
in Blender2.5 - so having to do edits for py3 is minimal effort if
your already updating your script for a new/modified api.
It is a con, but comparatively not a huge one IMHO. especially if you
consider we will move to py3 at some point anyway.

The proposals are in 2 parts, I only had pros/cons for including
python with blender.

I cross posted on blenderartist, where some scripters have replied.
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=142544

--
- Campbell