[Bf-committers] Bundle Python 3.0 for Blender 2.5

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Fri Dec 5 13:46:49 CET 2008

Would the current python stick around as well for backward
compatibility? I'd read that Py 3.0 wasn't backward compatible in a
number of ways:

http://docs.python.org/dev/3.0/whatsnew/3.0.html

There is a converter available for that takes care of things like the
"print" statement, but I think changes like the ones noted in that doc
would break almost every existing script. While that's not a problem for
me personally, that would be a serious frustration for people who search
for a script, find it and have it not work. Not saying Blender 2.5
shouldn't go with Python 3.0, just that I'm surprised this wasn't noted
on the "Cons" part of the proposal. This is a significant change, much
more than Py2.3->Py2.4->Py2.5.

--
Roland Hess
harkyman