[Bf-committers] Blender 2.5 api proposal.

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 20:14:42 CET 2008

--- On Mon, 12/1/08, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's is my proposal for the Blender 2.5 api.
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Blender2.5/PythonAPI_Ideasman
> I'm interested to know what people think of possibly
> moving to a new
> api (especially active Blender/Python scripters).

I don't think anyone will disagree that moving to a better/cleaner API at the same time as core changes are being made is an excellent idea.

The point I was trying to make (and apparently failing at) during the meeting is this:

- Leaving aside Blender.Draw and other UI components, how hard would it be to simply make sure the 2.4 API works on 2.5?

If this isn't too long a task, I think would should keep in around for at least one release, as sort of a transitional period. Not maintained further or anything, deprecation warning and all.

If it's decided to drop it, then I think we should freeze the design of the 2.5 API as soon as possible and especially not release with an half finished API.

Too often in the past we've committed to experimental/poorly tested API changes, the time to fix this is now.

My point in asking if it would be possible to keep the 2.4 API around is the leave us as much thinking/discussion time as possible before having to freeze the 2.5 API design without having only a half finished API available while lengthening the transition period as much as possible (just look at how long the talks on Py3K are lasting)

I'll leave the which Py version/static linking discussion for another day. It's not really linked to the transition decision anyway.



More information about the Bf-committers mailing list