[Bf-committers] CMake debug build?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 03:25:41 CEST 2008

Chris Want helped me out on IRC.

# Heres what I did, on linux to get it working
# Assuming your blender dir is ~/blender/blender
cd ~/blender/blender
rm CMakeCache.txt # if this is here, the makefiles will not be written
to the external dir
cd ..
mkdir cmake-build
cd cmake-build
cmake ../blender
ccmake .
# Now a text mode interface pops up
# set CMAKE_BUILT_TYPE to Debug
# I also used debug flags "-O0 -g3 -ggdb3 -fno-inline" - which is
supposed to give more info and not confuse valgrind.
make
# You'll have a blender binary in ~/blender/cmake-build/bin/blender

Compile times are pretty incredible! - on my 2 Core AMD 3800
cmake 2.6, scons 1.0

scons -j4 : 5min, 7sec
make -j4 : 3min, 27sec

# And after a fresh build
scons 2min, 4.3sec
cmake  2.5 Seconds!!!!

cmake has the advantage that its not configuring every time like scons
is, but from 2min to 2secons is huge.

Thanks Chris for helping out.

- Cam