[Bf-committers] Blender Web Plugin :: First Thoughts

Marcelo Coraça de Freitas mfreitas at ydeasolutions.com.br
Wed Aug 6 18:24:06 CEST 2008

Howdy again!

    That's awesome to get such feedback in my first email to this group.

    So, right now I am busy on making the code compile in my computer.
And I already have some thoughts (I'm gonna post it here in the lack of
better known place - please tell me where to discuss this kind of
thing.. trac?).

    From what I observed, the Netscape plugin was written using the Java
plugin API and JNI. This works fine (I don't know about efficiency
though) but, as interfacing with the Game Engine (and thus C/C++) using
yet another will make things a little harder to maintain. So, I'm up to
reimplementing it in C or C++ (maybe we could simply translate the
interface and then fix the broken things..  but it will depend on how
the Mozilla's C API is is based on the Netscape's Java one... ).

    As for the IE plugin, I don't even know if there is another way of
writing plugins, but the good thing of ActiveX is that we can plug this
very same code into other microsoft applications, such as PowerPoint
(which I see as a good thing (tm) as it'll will give some more
functionality to presentations and maybe help to promote blender
itself).

    I don't know a thing about Safari and HTML Kit, but I think as
Konqueror can use Mozilla's plugins they should be compatible (maybe the
exact same code.. but compiled for different OSes).

    Being a Linux user I should start with the Firefox plugin. This will
give us a multi platform plugin right away and then we can focus on IE.

    By the way, I am assuming we can use Erwin changes and that both
plugins share the base code (including the Python sandbox).

    Any thoughts or considerations?

Marcelo Coraça de Freitas
Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento de Softwares

Ydea Desenvolvimento de Software LTDA.
Av. Adolfo Pinheiro, 2338 - Alto da Boa Vista
CEP.:04734-004 - São Paulo - SP
Tel.: 55-11-5523-0333
Cel.: 55-11-8685-1429