[Bf-committers] Collada status

Pedro Ângelo pangelo at virii-labs.org
Mon Aug 4 03:56:29 CEST 2008

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 17:34:48 +0200
Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:

> Hi Collada devs!
>
> There's a wealth of attention for this part in Blender, and that's
> very welcome. In the past months we had to disappoint many
> (professional) users with the message "sorry, it is not maintained
> well now".
>
> Here's some info:
>
> - the sourceforge project below has halted.
>    http://sourceforge.net/projects/colladablender/
>
> - that code is in our own svn, in:
>    blender/release/scripts/collada*.py
>
> Actions:
>
> - could people provide patches against our svn py scripts?

Hello, I recently posted a couple of patches on the illusoft
bugtracker to add multi-uv coord and tangent data export for triangle
meshes.

Nightst4r, the current maintainer of that project seems to be quite
busy. Perhaps we could talk to him to merge the two codebases under the
bf umbrella to avoid having bugs and patches split between them?

Anyway, here are my patches if anyone wants to pick them up and do
something useful with them:

Export multi-uv:
http://colladablender.illusoft.com/mantis/view.php?id=123

Export tangents (requires multi-uv):
http://colladablender.illusoft.com/mantis/view.php?id=122

De-indexing conditioner that uses the plugin code to do COLLADA I/O:
http://colladablender.illusoft.com/mantis/view.php?id=34

> - is here anyone interested in accepting 'ownership' for collada
> (Tim seems to qualify well, since he's got a job doing it
> apparently :)

Given the growing amount of interest around COLLADA, I guess the
maintainer should be someone who actually has to use this code
everyday to get his job done. I'm available to help out the maintainer,
but can't take the responsibility of actually maintaining the
code because my use of the exporter is sporadic at best.

> - we can also arrange an irc meeting together about this... dunno
> about you guys timezones?
>    Optimal would be to make it topic on our standard irc meetings,
> 4-6 PM Netherlands time.

I'm up for it. My timezone is GMT.

Best regards,

Pedro Ângelo