[Bf-committers] Collada status

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 20:42:26 CEST 2008

Hi Tim,

Collada_Dom is 'MIT' licensed

http://collada-dom.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/collada-dom/trunk/dom/license.txt?view=log

which is GPL compatible,

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html

so we are okay as regards the legalities.

The reason the majority of our import/export scripts are written in
python is that python is 'easier' to do them in, and easier to
maintain if the original developer disappears (which happens pretty
often).  That said, I personally wouldn't object to using Collada/DOM.
 Anyone know roughly how much it would add to our (zipped) binary size
to include Collada DOM?

Python bindings for a well defined API are pretty easy to do (I think
there are automagic bindings generators that work well).  However they
probably aren't necessary.

LetterRip