[Bf-committers] WITH_BF_GLEXT

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Apr 29 16:44:36 CEST 2008

Hi,

I think it is not a good idea to rely on the platform glext.h (should have commented on this earlier but overlooked the discussion). The build shouldn't be limited to the OpenGL version of the computer that is was built on. Windows comes with version 1.1 by default for example. And extensions checks should not be done with #ifdef's anyway, but with runtime checks only ..

It would be better to use something like GLEW. I'd prefer everything to use GLEW, and I've committed it in the apricot branch and will investigate how to use it for the game engine, though it's too big a change to do before the release now. Regardless, I think the current situation is not good and should be improved maybe after the release, but I think it's still important to get release builds with extensions enabled.

There's a bug in the tracker now about GL extensions not being supported in unofficial windows builds. I'm not sure what the situation will be in the official builds, but I guess they might not have the extensions either without making changes. I suppose this is something all platform maintainers should test for when they make the next RC.

Brecht.