[Bf-committers] exit in blender

Yves Poissant ypoissant2 at videotron.ca
Tue Apr 22 16:03:54 CEST 2008

> We *always* should choose quality over convention, independent of what
> websites votes for or what "standards" big software companies forced us
> upon. If requests are popular they reveil a problem, something to
> seriously tackle, but requests never are by definition the best
> solution.
>
> So! If users accidentally lose work, let's tackle that. But don't play
> the popularity card or the standards card. These are hollow and
> manipulative arguments, only leading to mediocre solutions.

I mostly agree with your position.

But I'm not sure what is the real message behind this. Rejecting a standard
just because it is a standard is also a hollow and manipulative argument
especially when arguing with the "big software companies forced on us". That
is apealing to delinquent fibre in a lot of people and it works but that is
manipulative too. Personally, I'm sick of this
large-corporation-conspiration argument. And arrogantly pointing at the rest
of the word and say they are all crap and we are the smart ones who knows
how to do it right seems just as weak. Just add yet another idiosyncrasy to
Blender so we are different.

Standards don't need to be explained because they are standrards. If you
need to write a manual to explain such a basic feature then this is bad
design. Personally, I was not aware of the quit.blend file. Now I know about
it but that is still a weak solution for several reasons. The first one is I
have to go hunt the file in its temp folder and that needs to be explained.
Not only the principle needs to be explained but how to find that file needs
to be explained too. Then what if I open Blender and load the latest file to
find out I lost my changes and then quit again? Will my quit.blend be
overwritten by the new empty one?

Yves