[Bf-committers] exit in blender

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Sat Apr 19 14:58:53 CEST 2008

Le 19 avr. 08 à 04:29, Campbell Barton a écrit :

> quit.blend is a weak solution to me,
> * editmode changes are not saved
> * it isnt created if users dont have write permissions to the temp dir
> (apparently this happens on some windows setups)
> linked library data.
> IMHO blender should ask for quitting like most other apps do.

If there is bugs or usability concerns in the current implementation
they should be solved. No more, no less.

Permissions to a valid temp dir are in any case needed, so that
should be checked and the user warned

It was suggested that the quit.blend should be made in the current
dir rather than in the temp directory, which would solve the last 2
problems.

The point is that saving at quit is so fast in blender is that it is
a better solution that adding a popup. Why should we adopt
an inferior solution because it is standard ?

btw, there is many softwares with automatic saves, like your
email software.

Also, probably many users are not even aware of the automatic
save.

> at the moment this is the most requested for change on
> http://www.blenderstorm.org/qapoll/ideas/most_popular_ever/
> developers like being able to open/close blender fast for testing, but
> I think users would rather their work is not lost by accident.

Which only prove that polls essentially means nothing. Have you
looked at how many good ideas are among the most popular ?
It is abyssal.

Jean-Luc Peurière
jlp at nerim.net