[Bf-committers] To Patch or not to patch

Kent Mein mein at cs.umn.edu
Tue Apr 15 23:05:19 CEST 2008

So... I have this sort of complicated patch that has evolved over time.
It fixes a couple of closely related issues.

This patch spawns from this game engine issue:
[#7113] GE crash pressing as soon as P on 64 bit

I'm wondering if its alright to include the patch at this point
or if we should wait until the latest release is over.  The reason
for my hesitation in including it is, it could make it just a little
bit harder for people to compile blender.  (See Details below for why)

The patch is: http://www.cs.umn.edu/~mein/blender/notex.diff

The Details:
Looking at the problem, the multi texture code was causing problems
on some machines.  So I thought it would be good to make it
so a user could disable it with a ENV flag. (WITHOUT_GLEXT)

It turns out that the problem was caused by us including a version of glext.h
which doesn't work on 64 bit machines.
(We really shouldn't be providing this anyway.... 
	and it actually has a license that isn't GPL, there was a request in
	the tracker to get this fixed as well)
So this patch also removes that file.

Because of the removal, I also made a config variable to disable that
bit of code....
Scons  (WITH_BF_GLEXT=false)
Makefiles (WITH_GLEXT=false   or       WITH_BF_GLEXT=false)

For the people that are going Wah????  Stop with all the mumbo jumbo...
	glext.h has been removed from the source
	If you get errors compiling with it you have 2 options
		download glext.h	(preferred method)
		or set WITH_BF_GLEXT=false	
	If your a user and having problems with game engine try
		setting the env var: WITHOUT_GLEXT 1

Does anyone have any problems with me committing this now and
	would rather that I wait until after the release for 2.46?

mein at cs.umn.edu

More information about the Bf-committers mailing list