[Bf-committers] True Volumetrics question

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Tue Apr 15 20:31:44 CEST 2008

Hi,
echelon at infomail.upr.edu.cu (2008-04-15 at 1019.41 -0400):
> Hello!
>
>  I´ve been making some test with the ray deph for the raytracing and
> raycasting for refractions and found that beyond the geometry bounces of
> ray in the scene, higher values of the deph does not affect the rendering
> time ( with deph of 10 and deph of 10000 the render time is the same for
> a scene consistent of a bunch of spheres ) and because with the arrive of

Mirror spheres? What about two opposing mirrors as used for infinite
tunnel SFX? Or 20 layers of glass?

> volumetrics , situations where we have multiple intersecting geometry
> will be common i think the limit of 10 of the recursion of the refraction
> is too limitting , so I have two choices:
> 1) Increase the limit in the GUI (greater than 10)
> 2) make a button for an option: Autodeph
> Autodeph works as a top limit of recursion for a given scene, I would like
> to know if there is a method to find the maximun ray recursion in a scene
> and storing it as a ray deph.

3) Use a method that stops when the contributed results are below a
given level. IE, they become near non important.

BTW, looking at your images, I see they suffer some serious banding,
any idea about how to workaround that?
http://farsthary.wordpress.com/2008/04/11/35/volumetric14/

GSR