[Bf-committers] True Volumetrics question

echelon at infomail.upr.edu.cu echelon at infomail.upr.edu.cu
Tue Apr 15 16:19:41 CEST 2008

Hello!

 I´ve been making some test with the ray deph for the raytracing and
raycasting for refractions and found that beyond the geometry bounces of
ray in the scene, higher values of the deph does not affect the rendering
time ( with deph of 10 and deph of 10000 the render time is the same for
a scene consistent of a bunch of spheres ) and because with the arrive of
volumetrics , situations where we have multiple intersecting geometry
will be common i think the limit of 10 of the recursion of the refraction
is too limitting , so I have two choices:
1) Increase the limit in the GUI (greater than 10)
2) make a button for an option: Autodeph
Autodeph works as a top limit of recursion for a given scene, I would like
to know if there is a method to find the maximun ray recursion in a scene
and storing it as a ray deph.

Oh, I almost forgot , here I upload a testing video of a volumetric
animation, is short, because of my limitting bandwith, and also of low
quality (sorry about that :( )
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PocvhiYNFx8

 Please, answer me soon , ( I would like the dinamic autodeph option).