[Bf-committers] Blender Command Port

Dietrich Bollmann d.bollmann at tu-berlin.de
Mon Apr 14 05:50:57 CEST 2008

Hi Stephen,

I answered to your message half an hour ago - but the answer seems to be
lost somewhere :(

Writing the same thing once again...

On Sun, 2008-04-13 at 09:36 -0400, Stephen Swaney wrote:

> I replied to this once, but it never made it to the list
> because the Reply-To field says diresu at web.de
> rather than the list address.  Tsk.

Sorry, my fault!

I didn't mean to reproach you anything - I just couldn't find the answer
on the list and thought I should better post it again :)

> ----- Forwarded message from Stephen Swaney <sswaney at centurytel.net> -----
>
> Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 02:59:59 -0400
> From: Stephen Swaney <sswaney at centurytel.net>
> To: Dietrich Bollmann <diresu at web.de>
> Subject: Re: Blender Command Port
>
> On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 02:47:00PM +0900, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2008-04-12 at 13:00 -0400, Stephen Swaney wrote:
> > > This is certainly a useful feature, but personally, I'm not sure if
> > > further work on this patch as it stands is worth the effort at this
> > > point.
> >
> > Probably this is because you personally think about Blender as an
> > interactive GUI based tool for animation artists and do not understand
> > why somebody would wish to use Blender as a server anyway?
>
> No.  This is simply about the economics of spending time to get this
> patch - something you say you did not intend to publish - in shape to
> be included in 2.46 when it will have to be rewritten to fit in with
> the new event system.  Don't read anything else into it.

Sorry for misunderstanding you!

I spend so much time on the command port that I probably got
disappointed about not getting it integrated into the trunk.

This said, I would like to point out that the fault is probably mine.
Your comment on the patch-tracker meets exactly the right point:

  It is easier to wade thru patches if they deal with a single
  topic.  Nearly 12,000 lines of code makes for a big patch.  Something
  this large might be better done as an svn branch.

I would have started on a sized-down rewrite much before had I found
the time to do so.

Hope it is not too late now ... :)

Thanks for your help & efforts :)

Dietrich