[Bf-committers] [14385] trunk/blender/source/blender: Changed BLI_convertstringcode to replace any number of hashes with the frame number .

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Sat Apr 12 15:51:19 CEST 2008

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:59:21AM +0200, Campbell Barton wrote:
> My assumption was that people weren't manually adding #'s in their
> filename in the first place, since Blender does this internally.
> I would not even say the previous way has bugs, it just isn't supposed
> to be exposed to the user, and isnt even documented? (AFAIK)
>
> So your right - when this is done manually the results are different,
> Though I think the way it worked wasn't really that useful.
>
> Regarding loading a non padded image sequence, it wont work in order,
> if the application isnt smart about reading the int in the filename.
> but the point of making this change is you can manually set the
> padding to be enough for the frame range your using.
>
> If your making image sequencer from 1-99 it could be good to only have
> ## in the filename, but if your making a 2hr movie. you'd want around
> ######
>
> New users wont put # in filenames, and blender will act as it did
> before (which screws up over 9999 frames)
> if a user wants to render a longer animation - over 5-7min, they are
> probably a bit more experienced, can read the tooltip and include
> ##### in their filenames so its ordered correctly.

I thought we had discussed simply changing the default field width
for naming files.

If you are going to turn this into a new feature, a proposal or description
of how it is supposed to work would be nice.  There are a lot of built-in
assumptions here and this part

	 New users wont put # in filenames, and blender will act as it did
  	before (which screws up over 9999 frames)

makes it sound like the original problem still exists.

We also need something for the release notes.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net