[Bf-committers] Todo for 2nd test build. meeting notes

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Mon Apr 7 20:37:56 CEST 2008

Hi,
shaul.kedem at gmail.com (2008-04-07 at 0346.31 +0300):
> chroot of alpha can work on x86?!

No but chroot for x86 should work on any x86, plus instructions to
create a chroot should make easy to transfer things from one plataform
to another (I believe current instructions are based in the experience
from the creation of AMD64 and PPC chroots), and even reduce transfer
load on Blender servers as data will come from distributed servers.

Meanwhile a KVM solution will only work in latest x86 machines and the
instructions will just be useless on non x86 anyway, so your point of
"more people will be able to use it" is far from reality, it will be
less. I am not saying either that we must stick to chroots, just that
if we are going to change, better investigate what we are doing. KVM
seems to add work instead of reduce it, by splitting x86 into two
"archs" and then only solving one of them.

GSR