[Bf-committers] True Volumetrics for Blender

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 20:42:39 CEST 2008

Yay! I'm the developor who's doing Deep Shadow Maps, and I've really,
really been wanting a volumetrics engine to test it on :)  Deep shadow
maps is currently in it's own branch, I'm planning to merge it to trunk
after the release.

Some coding suggestions:
* The ray caster needs to be flexible enough to work with shadow maps as
well as simply rendering from the camera.
    I know, only deep shadow maps really deal with volumetrics
correctly, but even naive support for the others
   would be nice.
* The matrices in the renderer are slightly weird.  The render data is
transformed to camera space before rendering
   starts.  The projection matrix is then applied on-the-fly during
zbuffering.  It can be a little confusing handling how
   the data is pre-transformed, since you sometimes have to apply an
inverted camera view matrix to coordinates
   (here view matrix is defined as camera matrix without the perspective
projection part).
* In addition to brecht's suggestion, I'd also recommend looking at how
ztransp (the transparent zbuffer) integrates
   with the rest of the render pipeline; I imagine volumetrics should
work in much the same way.

Relavent files to look at are source/blender/render/intern/source
rendercore.c zbuffer.c pipeline.c shadeinput.c shadeoutput.c.  Feel free
to email us any questions.  Also you can ask questions in
irc://irc.freenode.net/blendercoders , though it sounds like IRC isn't
really practical for you.

Joe