[Bf-committers] True Volumetrics for Blender

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Apr 2 18:03:08 CEST 2008

Hi,

This sounds quite interesting!

>I need research and help on where are the best place to plug the Raycater
>to the render pipeline of blender (I choose a raycaster over other
>algorithms as splatters,shear warp factorizations, etc because the natural
>integration of ray cast methods with ray trace and because of quality)
>I'll preciate any feedback , feature request or help the comunity give me.

I would look at the spot halo code, since it's the thing closest to volumetrics in blender now. You can look for the places the function renderspothalo is used, and replace it with a rendervolumetric function or so, to handle both spot halos and your volumetrics.

Also I think the raycasting approach is indeed the right approach, since it integrates the easiest with the rendering pipeline.

Brecht.