[Bf-committers] Project Proposal

roger.liang at utoronto.ca roger.liang at utoronto.ca
Sun Sep 30 06:48:53 CEST 2007

Hi everyone.

We are 4th year computer engineering students at the University of
Toronto. For our capstone design project, we decided to contribute
some exciting features to Blender under the supervision of Keir Mierle.
.

The current plan of our project involves extending the nodes system of
Blender by implementing new nodes. We gathered inspiration from the
commercial procedural image generation software Filter Forge which
uses a node system similar to what Blender has right now. After a bit
of research we have decided that we are going to focus on the nodes
under following 5 catalogues.

  External nodes
  Gradients
  Processing nodes
  Curve ops
  Curves

A brief description of each node can be found at:
http://blender.astrometry.net/wiki/listofnodes

However, the implementation of those nodes will require introducing
one data type to the current Blender node system. In Filter Forge, the
nodes under Curve and Curve ops operates with one a unique data type
?curve input?. A curve input represents a curve function in a
specified range and is often used to provide inputs for other nodes to
define their behaviors.

A more detailed description on Filter Forge?s curve system can be found at:
http://www.filterforge.com/more/help/Components/CurveComponents.html

Therefore, if we are to extend Blender?s node system to the level of
Filter Forge, two changes in the current Blender node system will be
needed:
1.	Implementation of the new data type ?curve input?
2.	Possibly revision on some of the existing nodes to take advantage
of the new data type.

Also we suspect that we could implement the new curve input data type
in a way that it will be useable for both composite and shader nodes.
However we lack the knowledge of the current system to come to a
conclusion.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated and we look forward to hear from you.

Thank you very much

Roger Liang
Nicolas Wu Sak Wing
Christopher Leung