[Bf-committers] Blender 2.45 Release MSVCR71.DLL problem?

Simon Clitherow aphex at nildram.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 17:10:32 CEST 2007

Hi,
> It seems that this dll is needed by the python released with blender
> under win32 OS.
>
> So we can remove the python dll (bad idea) or oblige window users to
> install the complete python (worst idea) or inkscape which both contain
> the dll too. Why couldn't we release blender with this dll ?

Well, the legal reason against distributing msvcr71/80/*.dll is that the
EULA for VC2005 Express does not allow the distribution of these files.
But IANAL, etc, etc.

The whole microsoft dll issue is a mess, and the various websites and
blogs on the subject only seem to help spread confusion over what is
allowed to be distributed and what isn't.

The best solution, of course, is for someone with an VC8
enterprise/professional license to package up blender and distribute
with the two dlls.

For now, I can easily add another check to the installer for msvcr71.dll
and suggest downloading the full python install.  Not perfect, but
again, we're between a rock and hard place at the minute.

Cheers,

Simon