[Bf-committers] OpenGL accelerated Nodes

mindrones mindrones at yahoo.it
Sun Sep 9 13:29:22 CEST 2007

Hi Brecht,

On 9/8/07, Brecht Van Lommel <brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:

> A tricky thing about accelerating a few nodes is that it won't
> necessarily make things faster, since moving data to and from the GPU
> has a lot of latency, by the time you send something to the GPU, have
> it compute, and get it back it may be much faster to just do it on the
> CPU. So you need a good integration with the existing node execution
> system to make sure that there is the least GPU-CPU transfer possible,
> and that as much as possible stays on the GPU.

Are you going to use multi-processor/multi-core macs?
I can read here
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Release_Notes/Notes242/NodeMaterials
that the nodes tree execution is multithreaded but the single nodes seem to be
monothreaded. I've tried a single blur node on an 4K render and "top" shows
it's one thread (on a dualcore)

Also, have you decided to move to the 64bit release, with more than 4GB (3.3)
of memory?

Thanks,
Luca