[Bf-committers] OpenGL accelerated Nodes

Bob Holcomb bob_holcomb at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 8 15:09:12 CEST 2007

My 2 cents:

I was under the impression that the differences between floating point
numbers representation on most graphics cards and on the cpu was
different enough to cause artifacts in rendering?  Would this only be
for preview or for actual rendering?  I do know that some of the latest
video cards (my nvidia 8800 GTX for example) does support the same IEEE
754 floating point standard, for representation, however I'm not sure
that the process of the mathematics is exactly the same, so it may
return slightly different results (I could run some quick tests for
those interested).  If there is a desire for accelerated nodes, which
ones specifically?  Some will be harder than others to put on GPU due to
instruction limitations (again, depending on GPU).  This would be a good
use case for a plugin-in system, which should encompass more than just
nodes.

Cheers,

Bob