[Bf-committers] Peach developer wishlist

Alfredo de Greef eeshlo at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 7 23:32:17 CEST 2007

--- Brecht Van Lommel <brechtvanlommel at pandora.be>
wrote:
> The "Fur rendering" and "Rendering of complex
> environments"
> items, are two problems that micropolygons are a
> solution for
> (not the complete solution, but a large part).

Well, I hope the shading system will also be of some
use. In a email quite some time ago Ton said he was
possibly interested to see it as some nodal system.
There is a tile based texture cache, and it also
allows volumetric rendering.
Not that the renderer does the volumetric rendering it
self, like any renderman compliant renderer, you have
to write shaders to do that. (though I would have code
for that too if it is to be builtin, you might have
seen some of the old examples on my site)

> Any idea when you would do this commit? Our plan for
> Peach
> is to have fur editing and rendering basically done
> by
> mid November. I want to start working on this a few
> weeks
> before Peach starts in October.

Well, lets set a deadline then, what about the end of
september, would that be ok?
I think I will actually be able to do it sooner
though. (yes I know, preferably asap)

> Could you send me the code at least for now? Even if
> it
> is incomplete, doesn't compile, whatever. Just to
> get an
> idea of what the state it is, how it works and how
> it
> could integrate with Blender.

Well, I think sending you the code would be no
different from committing ;) so I really want to get
things in order first.
Even though unfinished, I'll leave the shader compiler
for now (which btw is still a python prototype) and
get on to the cleanup.

Also, I would recommend to get the book 'Production
Rendering' since the whole 'design' is completely
based on it. Or maybe you can steal it from Ton ;) I
know he has a copy of it.

As I said before, it is all C++, I also used
templates, I know Ton really hates that...
Though I actually in places tried to accomodate for
that by trying  to keep the code as C-like as
possible. Which results in a horrible C/C++ mix, so
equally 'disgusting' to both C and C++ programmers ;)
What is worse still is that I use a 'singleton' class
to throw all kinds of globals in. Great for threading,
not! Probably one of the most despised design
patterns...
Not that all that is particularly difficult to change
of course, but maybe that gives some idea of the
difficulties making things work with Blender. Although
I understand of course that my code is not going to be
used directly in Blender at all, but anyway...

BigChickenCoder