[Bf-committers] NDOF branch - problems and status

Ettore Pasquini ettore_pasquini at 3dconnexion.com
Mon Oct 22 20:30:22 CEST 2007

On 10/21/07 3:01 AM, "Jonathan Lessard" <jonathan at absurdus.net> wrote:

> Finally, I was wondering about the status of this branch. The development
> seems to have slowed down. Will it be incorporated in the main branch soon?
> Because I want to keep using my device but I do not want to miss the new
> Blender features coming up!

This is what's going on on my side: I've been developing a light-weight
cross-platform library to allow a uniform way of interfacing with generic
NDOF devices.  This library (called libndofdev at this moment) relies only
on OS frameworks only, with no dependencies on 3Dconnexion drivers
whatsoever.  This means HID Manager on OS X, and Direct Input on Windows.
Other implementations are also possible by simply implementing a few plain C
functions.

The library abstracts out all platform differences and gives a uniform and
(hopefully) clean API.  It is able to discover connected NDOF devices,
supports hotplugging, and it should allow the use of multiple devices (this
is not implemented yet).

I'm still developing this for another open source project, and even at its
current bare-bones status, it works.  I plan to release this with a BSD
license soon (again, hopefully).

Does this sound interesting for Blender?

Ettore

--
http://www.3dconnexion.com/