[Bf-committers] Polychop modifier

Rodrigo Hernandez kwizatz at aeongames.com
Wed Oct 3 06:29:38 CEST 2007

Ben Batt wrote:
> I am not suggesting you do anything with the decimate code, just
> switch between using
> the decimate code as it is and using your code based on which decimate
> method is selected. If you just have a drop-down list in the UI to
> select between "Default" and "Polychop" methods or similar (like the
> "Simple" versus "Catmull-Clark" selector in the Subsurf modifier), I
> don't think it would be confusing. People with more UI design
> knowledge than myself may disagree, of course :-)
>
> Ben

I understand what you're saying, and trust me, the way the modifier API
is written,
it would be troublesome to go the route you're suggesting, kludgy is the
word I am thinking.

The thing is, in the subsurf example, what you change is how the
approximation subdivision is done,
in this case we'll be going through a whole different code path,
different mesh caches, different variables to take into consideration, etc.

If you (plural) feel the name "polychop modifier" sounds perhaps too
informal, we can rename it to something else,
I am fine with that, though I am comfortable with the current name. :-)

Anyway, let me get something going and then we'll see whats there to
improve or change.

Cheers!