[Bf-committers] UI layout engine

Mathias Panzenböck grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net
Fri Nov 30 00:16:01 CET 2007

Micah Fitch wrote:
> Here is my perspective on Java interfaces:
> I have always experienced them to be sluggish, clumsy and obviously
> made of Java.  Show me one that doesn't yell "I AM A JAVA INTERFACE"
>>from the moment you set eyes on it, and maybe I'll change my mind,
> but most of them do, especially in mac and linux environments.
>
> Micah

I think that's not the point here. The point is not the Look of the
interface but how a programmer can manage it.

However, I wrote Wrappers around Blenders GUI API for Python scripts
several times. I believe this API is next to unusable for complex UIs.
What I wrote is not great and does not have a lot of features but it
makes live a lot easier. See the GUI for the demolition script.
No more button events (oh, did I assign this event number already?),
an this interface is scrollable and zoomable. The buttons are
automatically aligned and I have some kind of collapseable widget.
I have a action, resize and move event system etc.:
widget.registerResizeListener(resizeListener)
widget.registerActionListener(actionListener)

It still has all sorts of problems, but I only wrote it for one
special purpose.

	-panzi