[Bf-committers] UI layout engine

Ben Batt benbatt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 03:52:57 CET 2007

On Nov 28, 2007 11:10 AM, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:
> The other thing is that the onus should be on getting things nicely
> aligned, in consistent columned layouts, with consistent margins,
> sizes, etc. rather than just stretching everything to fit haphazardly.
> The aim should be to make it easier to make something like the camera
> edit panel, not the 'Mesh Tools' panel.

Yes, absolutely. I think the simple hierarchical row/column system
Alexander proposed would work well for this.

If the system had smart widget resizing behaviours, it would be even
nicer. For example, the "Show" column of buttons in the camera edit
panel could be made using a column layout container which tries to be
as narrow as possible, while each button calculates a minimum size
based on its text width and all buttons stretch to fill the layout
container (taking margins and padding into account). This would give a
column of buttons all the same width, and just wide enough to show the
widest button text nicely.

Ben