[Bf-committers] UI layout engine

Kyle Mallory kyle.mallory at utah.edu
Wed Nov 28 03:29:10 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 01:10 +0100, bf-committers-request at blender.org
wrote:
> From: Micah Fitch <micah at micahfitch.com>
> Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] UI layout engine
> To: bf-blender developers <bf-committers at blender.org>
>
> Here is my perspective on Java interfaces:
> I have always experienced them to be sluggish, clumsy and obviously
> made of Java.  Show me one that doesn't yell "I AM A JAVA INTERFACE"
> from the moment you set eyes on it, and maybe I'll change my mind,
> but most of them do, especially in mac and linux environments.
>
> Micah

Micah,

You are right.  And knowing Blender is written in C, not Java, I was
providing the JGoodies information as a reference to interface layout
components in general, and a possible design model.  I was in no way
suggesting the use of the actual component, etc.

As Matt said,
> ... The priorities are:
> * making it a bit quicker to put together button layouts in code and
> * keeping things consistent and nicely laid out
>
> The other thing is that the onus should be on getting things nicely
> aligned, in consistent columned layouts, with consistent margins,
> sizes, etc.

This is exactly the summation of my frustration with other layout
managers, to which JGoodies solved the problem by the nature of its well
thought out design.

Cheers,

Kyle