[Bf-committers] UI layout engine

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Tue Nov 27 06:41:20 CET 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Ben Batt wrote:

> Yeah, in Qt you use a lot of layouts within layouts. I haven't used
> GridBag, but it sounds to me like it could still be pretty inflexible,
> kind of like using HTML tables for layout.
>
> You can make some very nice layouts in Qt just using hierarchies of
> horizontal and vertical box layouts, smart widget resizing rules and
> stretchable spacer objects. I think something similar for Blender
> would be awesome.

Sounds very similar to what I originally proposed (the VRow HRow stuff).
With "spacer" elements added, this should give enough flexibility to quickly
and easily make pretty much any UI reasonably conceivable.

So, I'd say, this brings it to the point - now someone to implement it is
needed :)
As Matt seems to have some UI plans anyway (like always :), he seems like a
good candidate :)

(But who am I to delegate)

Anyway, happy to see that the discussion turned out fruitful and now an
elaborate concept is there. However, I don't want to be the one who has to
re-code all panels in Blender to use the new sane layout engine :)

Alexander Ewering

[ i n s t i n c t i v e . ]   http://www.instinctive.de

Zur Waldeshoehe 6                    Tel.: 02393-220558
59846 Sundern                         Fax: 02393-220559
Germany                xx-mail: xx-mail.com/instinctive