[Bf-committers] UI layout engine

Ben Batt benbatt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 06:34:11 CET 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 3:42 PM, Joe Eagar <joeedh at gmail.com> wrote:
> As an aside, swing has a GridBag layout manager that lets you specify ui
> elements in a grid, but also to merge cells to together to allow a
> greater degree of flexibility.  I havn't tried it yet, but it sounds
> useful; maybe a similar approach could be used for blender.
>
> Also one concept in swing is the use of subframes within a panel
> (actually its subpanels within a frame using their terminology); that
> should definitely be supported.  We need rock-solid
> container-within-container-within-container support.

Yeah, in Qt you use a lot of layouts within layouts. I haven't used
GridBag, but it sounds to me like it could still be pretty inflexible,
kind of like using HTML tables for layout.

You can make some very nice layouts in Qt just using hierarchies of
horizontal and vertical box layouts, smart widget resizing rules and
stretchable spacer objects. I think something similar for Blender
would be awesome.

Ben