[Bf-committers] displist.c, surfaces and buffers

Emmanuel Stone emmanuel.stone at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 22:23:14 CET 2007

Hello,

This is a Blender architecture/design question.

In displist.c::makeDispListSurf() :

- The vertex buffer for the tesselated surface is malloc()ed up every time, why?
- Is it possible to get the old buffer?

...  displist.c: 1347
"""
				dl= MEM_callocN(sizeof(DispList), "makeDispListsurf");
				dl->verts= MEM_callocN(len*3*sizeof(float), "dlverts");
"""

libNurbana uses deltas to modify the surface incrementally/on demand,
which is much faster than recalculating the entire surface for every
modification. At the moment I am caching the results of the previous
tesselation internally within libNurbana, but if this data still
exists somewhere within blender, I would prefer to use that.

-Emmanuel