[Bf-committers] A call for external renderer devs

Nicholas Chapman nickamy at paradise.net.nz
Sat Nov 10 05:04:17 CET 2007

Hi,
My name is Nicholas Chapman,  I'm the author of Indigo Renderer.
Regarding the render interface, a couple of things spring to mind.

* Does it have support for progressive rendering?  Indigo, and many
other Monte Carlo ray tracers, work in a progressive way - an initial
noisy render is produced, which is then refined over time to produce a
final, non-noisy (hopefully :P) render.  It would be helpful to be able
to display the progression of the render.  Another consequence of
progressive rendering is that usually the render is not considered
finished until the user halts the rendering process.

* Material support: parameters for Indigo materials are often quite
different from Blender material parameters.  Automatic conversion of
parameters, while usually possible, I regard as not an optimal
solution.  I think the best solution for this problem is to allow custom
material GUI panels to be loaded into Blender, and then pass the custom
material parameters over to the render engine.  I think this is how 3D
Studio Max works, for instance.

thanks,
    Nick Chapman