[Bf-committers] Qdune code

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 8 06:42:51 CET 2007

On 08/11/2007, at 4:26 PM, Joe Eagar wrote:

> Ray tracing especially is important for some things.

Yes, but so is actually having a renderer that can manage half of the
Ri-Spec.

Have you actually tried to use Pixie on a project?  I evaluated Pixie
alongside Aqsis for my equine forelimb movie, which was shown at the
Blender conference a couple of years back.  Here's a still frame:
    http://www.aqsis.org/xoops/modules/xcgal/displayimage.php?pid=196&fullsize=1

I wanted to use Pixie's AO solutions, but I simply couldn't get it to
work properly with the (very basic, well set-up) subdiv surfaces that
I exported from Aqsis.  I had numerous problems with coordinate system
transformations, where Pixie would fall-over as soon as I scaled by -1
along any axis (which I was using to set up my coordinate system and
do the RH->LH transformation).  Don't even start me on the problems I
encountered with motion blur!!!

Having done all of this, it seems ludicrous to me to find somebody
claiming Pixie is "better" in a discussion of features.  Are you
simply believing the feature list of Pixie, or are you really somebody
who's been-there, done-that?

Jonathan Merritt.