[Bf-committers] Qdune code

Jonathan Merritt j.merritt at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 8 02:43:46 CET 2007

Well, I can't speak for anyone else involved with Aqsis, but I was
personally a bit perplexed to hear about QD.

The main thing I've been wondering is: why develop QD as a separate
project?  Why not, for example, take the Aqsis subdiv2 code and
improve it?  Or add a new shading and sampling pipeline?  Or add a
"Blender interface" to replace the Ri-calls.  Or ...

If it is accepted into Blender, QD will fight for developers alongside
the other open source REYES implementations.  Because of the large
Blender user base, it will instantly achieve a large advantage over
Aqsis (and Pixie) that I don't understand.

It would be instructive to know why QD was chosen.  Quick assertions
about speed (when the project has never been released!) seem to be a
bit of an insult to the innumerable man-hours that have been devoted
to Aqsis and Pixie, and the good-faith efforts to get proof-of-concept
stuff working.

The history in this area is really long; numerous attempts at Python
exporters, work by Green, Paul Gregory and myself on integrated
exporters, and now the Render API project.  Of all those efforts, the
Render API looked the most promising.  But then suddenly QD sprang up
and was incorporated into the Blender code base without any external
evaluation!  How can QD not be in direct competition with the Render
API, if it is being used with the intent of achieving the same stuff
that people would like to see from external renderers that will
eventually be hooked up to the Render API?

It's all a bit difficult to understand from the outside...

Jonathan Merritt.