[Bf-committers] Outliner Question

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Nov 2 22:35:23 CET 2007

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Sangwoo Hong wrote:

> So what is the bottle neck in your opinion?  Is it that Ton is too busy?  Is
> it that there isn't anyone coding it?  Is there some "project tracking list"
> that this task isn't being added to?
>
> What do you think?

In my opinion, if it's worth anything, the problems are:

- There is indeed a bottleneck of coders, or patch reviewers;
- There is a patch tracker accessible via the blender.org website,
   but it does not get a lot of attention (this has improved recently),
- There are some features that are just thrown into Blender without
   much thought, while others (like my layer manager back then) get
   put on hold for discussion and never leave that status
- There is also a feature requests tracker and page on blender.org,
   but it's horribly outdated (it still has stuff like "We need fluids")

On the whole, I think that *my* layer manager (which, as you might have
noticed, is actual code) is not appropriate anymore for inclusion, as too
much has changed since 2004 (the outliner didn't even exist when I wrote
it), so, someone has to come up with a new proposal. But, as already 100000
proposals have been made and got lost in the sea of discussion, in my
personal opinion, the best solution would be someone take a gun, threaten
all other committers with assassination if they complain, and just commit
whatever he/she wrote. :)

Alexander Ewering

[ i n s t i n c t i v e . ]      instinctive mediaworks

Zur Waldeshoehe 6                    Tel.: 02393-220558
59846 Sundern                         Fax: 02393-220559
Germany                xx-mail: xx-mail.com/instinctive