[Bf-committers] Outliner Question

Alexander Ewering blender at instinctive.de
Fri Nov 2 22:06:42 CET 2007

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007, Sangwoo Hong wrote:

> Apparently he's working on infrastructure that will make it possible to have
> arbitrary number of named layers, etc.  I think having the outliner be able
> to handle this will be a great idea since it will be possible to see layer
> members if layers were in the outliner instead.  Maybe you guys should put
> your heads together and see where that goes.

This is all nothing new. The layer manager discussion has been held 1000
times, with 1000 different drafts, and even some implementations like mine
(http://www.linux.com/articles/44024), which additionally allows layer
locking (long before it existed per-object in the outliner) and various
other stuff..

However, there are always these "design discussions" in which many features
get buried.

The "integrate a layer manager well into the existing functionality, like
the outliner" statement has been first made by Ton around 2 or 3 years ago,
and still, it seems like no decision has been made :D

Alexander Ewering

[ i n s t i n c t i v e . ]      instinctive mediaworks

Zur Waldeshoehe 6                    Tel.: 02393-220558
59846 Sundern                         Fax: 02393-220559
Germany                xx-mail: xx-mail.com/instinctive