[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [12447] trunk/blender/source/blender: * Two usability tweaks in adding objects, with user prefs

Mal Mal malachyduffin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 11:23:35 CET 2007

Patch from Matt Ebb
> * Two usability tweaks in adding objects, with user prefs

This is GREAT news - I 110% agree with all of those points.  In fact,
I tried to create a new patch based on Tons comments of the previous
patch ( ie split the patch into two separate patches, and have the
default values set to the current behaviour ).

Having taught a few week long blender courses, here are a few things
I've experienced...

AUTO-EDIT MODE

People just don't get the fact that added objects go into edit mode
automatically, when starting out learning Blender - and even for
experienced users, this can be an unwanted behaviour and so at least
be an option.

As stated, in a user interface, carrying out a single operation like
adding a new object should do a single operation like add a new
object.  It shouldn't add a new object, and then carry out another UI
task like entering Edit Mode.

AUTO-ALIGN

This is another major PITA, and again should at least be a user option.

Quite a few users prefer to work in perspective view, and of course
added objects are rotated to this view.  For the majority of time, the
rotation of the camera will bear no relation to where the user will
want to place the object, and so this is an unrequired effect.

One addition to the above ( for advanced users ) might be detect if
the current view off-axis ( ie not in top/bottom/left/right/front/back
viewport ).  If they are on-axis, then the current behaviour is used (
ie the object is rotated to the camera, which is already on-axis, but
the rotation matches that specific axis ).

If the current view is off-axis, then use this new axis-aligned ( most
likely to the "tabletop" axis ) code.

Just my thoughts, but it would be an absolute shame if this patch ( or
a tweaked version of it ) didn't get into the main branch - people
have been asking for this for years ( yep, YEARS! :).

Nice work Matt!!!  You have my vote!
Mal