[Bf-committers] Render API Design

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu May 31 22:58:02 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've asked Aaron to use this list to discuss specs for the export API.
Since he's not very experienced here, I can imagine he only gets
confused more. :)

It's really not the purpose that Aaron is going to write exporting to
all different render systems. What I do need all of you guys for is to
help in the design phase, and verify that what he does is future proof.

So, instead of expanding the wishlist, it's now also time to narrow
down to something feasible for a student to create and implement. We
have to get this focused!

Simply said; let's first try this:

- API only needs two major features:
   1) pipeline control (initialize, scene, camera, image updates, etc)
   2) geometry
- Ignore shader/material for now
- Try to get this work for Yafray and for Aqsis (renderman).

I would prefer everyone to also read this carefully:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mosani/SummerOfCode2007

And, please help him by making simple mockup API ideas (in wiki) for
what you think is a good and cross platform approach.

Lastly; we should look at wording/structure of existing apis too, like
xsi's.

Last lastly; maybe we better move this discussion to a temporary
dedicated mailing list?

-Ton-