[Bf-committers] supporting 6Dof devices on blender.

Ettore Pasquini ettore_pasquini at 3dconnexion.com
Tue May 29 04:03:40 CEST 2007

On 5/27/07 12:48 PM, "Jean-Luc Peurière" <jlp at nerim.net> wrote:

> - I will create a (temporal) new branch on svn where i will commit
> the 2.44
> ported  patch (Note it probably wont be a working one, as the initial
> patch
> assumed windows only, and i tweaked some bits).

That's fine: I did some tweakings too but I'll gladly take and use your
changes... I'm pretty sure they will be more "reliable" than mine, given
your level of seniority here. :)

> - From there, Ettore can work on the same code as us, working on the
> plug-in
> for all platforms 3Dconnexion support, which is what he said he was
> working on.
> Do i'm right it is linux, windows, macos X ?

All of them, that's correct. Our driver also supports Solaris, so I could
eventually also work on Solaris... I just can't commit on that at the
moment.

> For macos X, it is ok to weak link the plug-in to the driver framework.
>
> To avoid license troubles, we cannot host the plug-in code on our
> blender svn.

Even if it's LGPL? I'm just curious on why it is so. Is this a GPL problem
or just a legal precaution?

> Either 3Dconnexion will have to host it, or we put it somewhere else.
> The plug-in code  (one tiny cpp file, could be C) must be LGPL.

Cool -- it will be LGPL.

> - In the mean time, i will work on adding HID support to ghost. HID,
> being a much
> general solution, provide us a more versatile tool, but only for USB
> devices.
> More work, but better in the long term. Having the 2 solutions in is
> the best deal.

I agree.

> - We thought about using 3 modes :
>
> *  moving object selection with or without dominant mode (basically
> it is a transform
>     of the object)

Dominant mode is controlled transparently by our driver. If the user enables
it from our system-wide preference pane, the driver will send back
information on just one axis, so it's completely abstracted out from the
specific application code.  So, it would be nice if we could do the same and
abstract it out in the generic HID wrappers. It would certainly make my life
easier.

> *  moving the view camera.
>
> - I will create a wiki page where we can discuss the features we want
>
> I take the ownership of the branch, meaning it is my duty to kept it
> in sync with trunk.
> Non bf-commiters can send me patches i will apply to svn.
>
> I will create the branch and wiki after having heard your comments if
> needed,
> probably tomorrow.

That's great. I will probably be available to work on this full time
starting next week or more probably the following, as I will be attending
WWDC ;-) but I'm really excited about all this!

Thanks,

Ettore

!DSPAM:18,465ba5a636371101210137!