[Bf-committers] supporting 6Dof devices on blender.

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Sun May 27 21:48:42 CEST 2007

Le 18 mai 07 à 12:39, Jean-Luc Peurière a écrit :

> A feature request that pops frequently is support for 6DOF devices
> (generally those from 3Dconnexion).

> So adding application side drivers HID support in blender  (ghost)
> would allow us to bypass the SDK and hence use the devices. Added
> bonus is that we can support any proper USB device like joystick,
> gamepads and so on.

> Linux support could use xinput too, but unfortunately this is far
> from portable to other OSes, so the HID road is the most promising i
> think

As several have expressed interest, a plan was agreed on meeting today :

- I will create a (temporal) new branch on svn where i will commit
the 2.44
ported  patch (Note it probably wont be a working one, as the initial
patch
assumed windows only, and i tweaked some bits).

- From there, Ettore can work on the same code as us, working on the
plug-in
for all platforms 3Dconnexion support, which is what he said he was
working on.
Do i'm right it is linux, windows, macos X ?
For macos X, it is ok to weak link the plug-in to the driver framework.

To avoid license troubles, we cannot host the plug-in code on our
blender svn.
Either 3Dconnexion will have to host it, or we put it somewhere else.
The plug-in code  (one tiny cpp file, could be C) must be LGPL.

- In the mean time, i will work on adding HID support to ghost. HID,
being a much
general solution, provide us a more versatile tool, but only for USB
devices.
More work, but better in the long term. Having the 2 solutions in is
the best deal.

- We thought about using 3 modes :

*  moving object selection with or without dominant mode (basically
it is a transform
    of the object)
*  moving the view camera.

- I will create a wiki page where we can discuss the features we want

I take the ownership of the branch, meaning it is my duty to kept it
in sync with trunk.
Non bf-commiters can send me patches i will apply to svn.

I will create the branch and wiki after having heard your comments if
needed,
probably tomorrow.

--
Lukep