[Bf-committers] SVN policy

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue May 22 23:07:33 CEST 2007

Hi,

After discussions online, this came out of it:

1) Branching

First note; the structure of the reposity is as follows:

	https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/

branches/  <-- here go all branches, development projects, mostly
linked files
tags/      <-- the releases mostly, actual copies of code
trunk/     <-- where official projects work on

These three directories have read/write permissions set for all
developers who are member of the bf-blender project.

All developers can add branches as much they like, but for time being
let's coordinate that a bit (like anounce it here or on irc meetings).
We also need to document this somewhere on the 'module owners' or
'current projects' lists.

The SOC developers will also get a bf-blender membership with svn write
access. Each SOC developer will work on own branch, and ensure it gets
synced with trunk nicely.

2) Release tags and release updates

<text to be written, too confusing for me still>

3) Experimental tree

On the lowest level, next to branchs/tags/trunk we could also add a
tuhopuu directory (a sort of a trunk). Problem is accounts are only
managed now centrally per repository (bf-blender). We cannot restrict
permissions per directory at the moment.

Solution could be to keep tuhopuu a seperate svn repository, with own
branches and tags, and own account and permission management. SVN seems
to have decent tools to merge between repositories, with as only
disadvantage you lose history. Which seems to be acceptable.

-Ton-

Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
http://www.blender.org

!DSPAM:18,46535c1b36377248767963!