[Bf-committers] supporting 6Dof devices on blender.

Stefan Gartner stefang at aon.at
Sat May 19 21:39:56 CEST 2007

On Saturday, 19. May 2007, Jean-Luc Peurière wrote:
> Le 19 mai 07 à 15:40, Martin Poirier a écrit :
> > --- Campbell Barton <cbarton at metavr.com> wrote:
> >> I assume adding some licence info to the splash
> >> screen when clicking on
> >> the Help/About will be ok.
> >
> > On the contrary, the advertisement clause, like the
> > one in the old 4-clause BSD license, most likely makes
> > it incompatible with the GPL.
>
> I agree.
>
> However, a solution could be to add a command which display
> about_box of the plugins.
>
> Thus the advertisement is inside the plugin, we are not breaking
> the GPL and still comply with the license.
>
> If 3Dconnexion makes part of the path, we can imho make some
> effort ourself. I'm very confident on adding HID for Os X (i have
> working code for that), but dont know for other Oses and the official
> SDK is the only way to support older serial devices (not on os x
> though )

I couldn't get my (serial) SpaceBall 2003 to work with the drivers from
3Dconnexion, though it works with libsball or can be used as a joystick on
Linux. Maybe it would be a good idea to add generic n-Dof device support to
GHOST and make it use whatever backend is available to talk to the actual
device, be it HID, 3Dconnexion's SDK (via plugin) or other means.