[Bf-committers] GPL: how to link with non-gpl plugins

Shaul Kedem shaul.kedem at gmail.com
Thu May 17 19:47:09 CEST 2007

Please read the following:

True, blender is not the linux kernel but on the other hand it is the only
decent open source 3D app out there.

Some kind of an open API is needed, no direct linkage. I don't think a
"special version for renderer/driver/control device/XXX binary" is a good
idea, even loadable modules are edge case (and yes, I know it have an impact
on the performance..)

Creativity is urgently needed in this field.

Shaul

On 5/17/07, Tom M <letterrip at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Is this correct to officially communicate? Please advise,
>
> Yes either of those options sound safe from my reading as well.  Of
> course best would be a standardized API specification that all of the
> common renderer companies could use - it might be worthwhile to see
> what the 3DS Max API is and duplicate their API since pretty much
> every renderer out there interfaces with 3DS Max.  Then we will get a
> whole bunch of renderers 'for free'.
>
> LetterRip
>

> > -Ton-

> > --