[Bf-committers] Wanted; opengl board/driver documentation...

Shaul Kedem shaul.kedem at gmail.com
Thu May 17 12:11:56 CEST 2007

Another option: code into blender a test which generates a protocol
(including CRC of the binary used) that can be sent and analyzed at the
blender.org server, information generated from such a tool can be (no
particular order):
 - CPU(s)
 - Time to render test (hardcoded) scene - can be under several different
configurations, compared to already generated pics from the network
 - OpenGL ver and extensions
 - OS
 - Game engine sample scene , fps etc.
 - CRC of the binary - this should give a pretty good 1-1 identification of
the version/build used
 - additional comments from the user?

Then at the blender.org side we parse the data and give the ability to drill
down (for example: all of the Geforce cards, only the 7600, only on linux
etc.)

Shaul

On 5/17/07, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yep, this is really not a tools problem but a human factor. We need
> someone who likes to put time in it (and not in coding, but in
> managing)... and whatever tools then are needed is something we can
> realize relatively easily.
>
> -Ton-
>

> On 17 May, 2007, at 2:18, Tom M wrote:
>
> > I'd say just use the opengl bug tracker - can it have a spot for text
> > entry?  Maintaining a bug tracker is a lot easier than maintaining any
> > of the others - and if we ask people to put the platform and card in
> > the name it will be easily searchable.  Also is there something
> > trivial people can run so we can get consistent information?
> >
> > LetterRip
> >
> > On 5/16/07, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:
> >> I really don't think it's the tool that's the problem.
> >>
> >> We've had a static HTML page, a forum thread, some
> >> web-database-driven-thingy that Ton mentions that didn't work out. I
> >> think, even a static HTML page would work, the big issue is
> >> maintenance, validation and keeping it up to date, for which we need a
> >> dedicated volunteer or team. Spending weeks coding some nice PHP
> >> system that's abandoned and not maintained afterwards will be a waste
> >> of time, and suffer the same fate.

> --
> Ton Roosendaal  Blender Foundation ton at blender.org
> http://www.blender.org