[Bf-committers] Windows Vista menu pop on/off animation slowness...

Sangwoo Hong sahngwoo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 18:53:22 CET 2007

Anyone running Blender on Windows Vista yet?  I just set it up to run on
Vista and couldn't help but notice that menus and the startup image
"animate" and in a bad way.  All menus seem to pop on and disappear from the
bottom up while the startup image appears from the bottom up then
disappears.

Let me clarify.  Say I click on the "View" menu in my 3D window.  The menu
starting with "space handler scripts" etc appears as normal.  Then I decide
this is not what I wanted to do so I move my cursor outside the menu,
Instead of the menu disappearing instantly as expected, the menu disappears
from the bottom up like window blinds being pulled up to the top.  Cute but
here is the problem.

I CAN'T DO ANYTHING UNTIL THE MENU DISAPPEARS.

And it's not like the animation is instantaneous.  It take two to three
seconds at least for some of the longer menus to disappear.

I've never been a fan of these gimmicky UI animations myself. (I hate OSX
for this very reason.  Yeah yeah sue me. :p)  And now that Microsoft seems
to have a hard on for this BS, I'm going to have to put up with it since my
trusty win2k installations have bitten the dust after five long years of
solid service.  :.(

Anyway, windows seem to pop on and off just fine in other apps so maybe this
might not be too much work to fix in a future version.  I figured people
will inevitably end up on Vista at some point and may run in to the problem
I'm running in to here so I thought I should mention it to see what people
think.

phong.

btw, I am planning on setting up Ubuntu on this very machine as soon as
Ubuntu Studio gets released so all you Vista haters can just get off my
back, okay? ;D