[Bf-committers] Node Refactor

joe joeedh at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 21:52:25 CET 2007

On 3/20/07, Bob Holcomb <bob_holcomb at hotmail.com> wrote:
> First, sorry for the long email.  It's got "stuff" in it, but I think it
> may be helpful.  I've been working on the node refactor for the last
> couple of weeks between my day job and real life.  I presented what I
> had to Ton earlier today and would like to get the rest of the
> communities opinion.  I have removed all of node_composite.c and
> node_shader.c from the blenkernel directory as well as many of the
> functions from drawnode.c and node.c (some of the rendering functions
> will be restored).
>
> The goal is to generate a node plug-in API in the near future, whether
> that is before 2.44 is release or not is still up in the air.  My gut
> feeling is it will be before 2.44, but may need revision in the future.
> I would prefer to get it right the first time so please respond tho this
> email if you have input.  I do plan on following Peter's recommendation
> for a plug-in api for the nodes for the most part, any deviations I make
> will be noted on the wiki.

How will node GUIs work?  Back when I wrote a node plugin API, it used
an auto-generated UI like texture plugins, but I and others decided
this would be far, far too limiting.

The original idea was for a plugin system that'd use a python script
to define its UI, however making a C binary API for guis would work
too.

Also, how will the nodes store data?  Through a system like id
properties, or something simpler?  One thing you can do, is give
plugins the ability to have their own custom DNA codes; however,
that'd require some refactoring of the file code.

Joe