[Bf-committers] Summer of Code Idea -- Renderman Integration

Hannu Parviainen hannu at astro.helsinki.fi
Wed Mar 21 19:39:36 CET 2007

I'm using the object data directly since I'm aiming to export different
types of objects as different Renderman primitives: meshes as
subdivisionsurfaces, pointspolygons, points, or points and curves; NURBS
as patches; curves as curves; metaobjects as blobbies; etc. I'm also
hoping to add support for (Delayed)ReadArchives and procedural objects.

Another reason is that I'm still familiarizing myself with Blender source.
I'm using Renderman mainly for scientific visualization (tho I'm hoping to
do something more artistic as well... someday...), and want a good and
free GUI for things I'm currently doing mostly with scripts and
self-written code. I've used blender now and then for the last ~8 years,
and lately started to like it more and more. Renderman integration
seemed a good idea to get to know the insides of Blender, as well as to
allow the export to my renderers-of-choise at the same time.

So... No problem with sounding discouraging. I'm learning, and it's better
to find out the things that could and should be done in a better way now,
when even more major changes are still quite easy.

--
Hannu Parviainen
hannu at astro.helsinki.fi

Observatory