[Bf-committers] CVS Python assert failure on shutdown?

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Tue Mar 20 16:09:26 CET 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 03:17:34PM -0600, Early Ehlinger wrote:
> If I do a build in "Blender Debug" mode using MSVC 7.1, launch Blender,
> and hit Ctrl+Q, then enter, I get the following assertion failure.
>
> This is using a freshly downloaded copy of CVS sources, no patches,
> Python 2.5 installed.
>
> ---------------------------
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
> ---------------------------
> Assertion failed!
>
> Program: ...
> File: ..\Modules\gcmodule.c
> Line: 276
>
> Expression: gc->gc.gc_refs != 0

This msg is coming from inside the Python source.
Judging from the comments in the code there, it
looks like the garbage collector is bailing when
asked to delete an already deleted object.

My guess is we have a bad refcount (missing incref?),
probably due to the recent code cleanup.

This behaviour does not show up here on loonix, so
finding the problem will be interesting.

--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net