[Bf-committers] GSOC OpenGL Interface Re-Development

Scott Johnson scottj at cs.umn.edu
Tue Mar 20 06:32:16 CET 2007

Hello Again Everyone:

I believe that it was requested that ideas be run by this list before
writing a proposal, so I wanted to make sure that I comply.  Since my
original idea for a plugin API is currently being developed, I've been
looking around for another concept, and I came across the interface
refactoring idea on the wiki.  I think this fits a little better into my
personal skills, since I am very proficient in OpenGL.  I was wondering
if anyone had specific input they would like to mull over besides the
general concepts for speedups by using vertex arrays/buffer objects.
Last year, I brought up the idea of incorporating abilities from Gl 2.0
- specifically in-application support for scripting via GLSL - and I was
told that Blender wanted to stay at 1.5 standards.  As I would be
working with the interface and making adjustments that would
detect/enable functionality based on GL version/extensions available for
the particular client, I was wondering if perhaps this might be included
as an idea.  I think it might be a little much for a single project, but
I could always propose a certain amount of work to complete before the
end of the summer, and if time allowed, work on a few additional items.
I would like to gauge the importance that the community feels regarding
this particular enhancement.

Thanks!

~Scott

--
 ______________
|Scott Johnson  \___________________________
| PhD Student                               |
| Department of Computer Science            |
| University of Minnesota                   |
| Office: Walter 460                        |
| Office Phone: 612-625-1257                |
| Web: http://www.cs.umn.edu/~scottj        |
| Email: scottj at cs.umn.edu                  |
| IRC Nick: jwir3                           |